We currently offer two different courses: Childbirth and Infant Care and Breastfeeding
1. Childbirth and Infant Care
For most folks, this is the course you want! We combine the childbirth and infant care course (most others providers offer them separately) so you get the most of your time and class experience. The course includes:
- Anatomy/physiology of pregnancy and labor
- Labor and birth interventions
- When to call a doctor
- Vaginal and cesarean birth
- Relaxation and breathing techniques
- Choices related to anesthesia
- Birth video
- Gift of Motherhood book
- Tour of Round Rock Medical Center*
Infant Care Content
- Infant behavior and development
- Crying and comforting
- Feeding, bathing and diapering
- Safety issues
*Classes held at Oakwood Women’s Centre include a tour of Round Rock Medical Center labor and delivery.
We offer this course in three different formats to suit your schedule and budget:
Weeknight ($100 per couple) – Four 2 1/2 hour classes on the same weeknight for four weeks. Class times are generally from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM.
Weekend ($130 per couple) – One eight-hour class session on a Saturday. Classes generally start at 8:30 AM.
Private Childbirth ($230 per couple) – One, 3 hour in home consultation. Times are completely flexible to meet your schedule.
Our breastfeeding class is for expectant partners (both partners are encouraged to attend!) who are planning to breastfeed.
- First feedings in the hospital and at home
- Breastfeeding techniques
- Prevention of common problems
- Equipment and techniques for pumping and storing breast milk
Breastfeeding classes are two-hour classes given on a weeknight ($25).